Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup). To make this vegan pho soup recipe, you will need: Veggies: We typically follow the lead of our favorite vegetarian-friendly Vietnamese restaurant here in Barcelona, and add a mixture of baby bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and sliced carrots to our veggie pho. But feel free to toss in any other. This vegetarian pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) is full of flavor, thanks to spices, herbs and sautéed shiitake mushrooms!
Vegan Pho (Phở) is an easier and healthier version of the traditional Vietnamese noodle soup. This nourishing and flavorful gluten-free and fat-free soup is perfect for any season! It's hard to believe that it's been more than two months since I published a recipe. You can cook Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) using 28 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup)
- You need of Noodle Soup.
- It’s 1 of yellow onion, peeled, cut into large chunks.
- It’s 3 of shallots, peeled, cut in half.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, cut in half.
- Prepare 5 cm of chunck ginger, peeled, cut in half.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick, cut in half.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of whole peppercorns.
- Prepare 6 of whole cloves.
- Prepare 4 of star anise.
- Prepare 1 tsp of neutral-flavored oil.
- Prepare 1 of vegetable bouillon cube.
- It’s 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 2 of carrots, thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets.
- It’s 20 of medium mushrooms, sliced.
- It’s 200 g of rice noodles.
- Prepare of Tofu Strips.
- You need 1 block of firm tofu, thinly sliced.
- It’s 1 tbsp of neutral oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of Optional Garnish *But Highly Recommended.
- Prepare of Fresh basil.
- You need of Bean sprouts.
- It’s of Sliced green onions.
- You need of Sliced radish.
- It’s of Sliced Lime.
- You need of Hoisin sauce.
- Prepare of Chili sauce or Sriracha hot sauce.
A recipe for Vietnamese noodle soup that's vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free. In the interest of making vegetarian phở at home, I consulted my mother, who recalled her experience living in a Vietnamese Buddhist community that made meat-free phở broth with a medley of spices, ginger, and. If you like noodle soup, you'll love this. I spent most of my adult life living in Vancouver, Canada, where you kind find a plethora of Vietnamese pho restaurants.
Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) step by step
- Place the onion, garlic, ginger and spices in a medium pot on high heat and dry roast until fragrant, about 2 minutes, stirring throughout. Then add 1 tsp oil and continue to sauté for another 60 seconds before adding 1,5l water and crushing in one vegetable bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 25 min to allow the flavours to meld, partly covered..
- Add a strainer to the top of a large pot on medium-high heat and drain the broth from step #2, straining out the onions, garlic, ginger and spices. To this broth, add the soy sauce and vegetables, partly cover, allowing to simmer for about 10 minutes..
- Prepare the tofu by heating oil in a non-stick pan on high heat, and sprinkle salt to evenly distribute. Then add the sliced tofu to the pan, decrease the heat the heat to medium-high and do not disturb until golden, about 5-8 minutes. Then flip and allow other side to cook; again, do not disturb until golden, about 5 min. Remove from heat and set aside..
- While the veggies cook, add the rice noodles to a small pot on high heat and cover with boiling water. Allow to cook until al dente. Drain and set aside..
- To prepare the noodle bowl, simply divide the noodles between the bowls, ladle veggies and broth on top, add the cooked tofu and load the bowl full with all the garnish. By favourites are the fresh basil, hoisin sauce, bean sprouts and chili sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy while hot!.
- Notes Variations: add any other veggies like bok choy, edamame beans, shiitake mushrooms, fresh cilantro, crispy onion flakes, etc. Speed-it-up: using edamame as your plant-based protein saves time compared to making your own tofu. If doing this, add at the same time you add the carrots to the pot. Storage: best to enjoy immediately. Leftovers can be stored for up to one day and reheated before serving..
And because it's the “hippie west coast” I almost never had an issue finding a vegan option or creating a vegan option for my. To make Pho: Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water. This vegan pho is a delicious take on classic Vietnamese noodle soup with all vegan ingredients. An amazingly flavorful broth, perfectly cooked rice sticks, sauteed tofu and all the toppings in the world!