Cottage pie. Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a type of savory pie. It is made with minced meat, with mashed potato on top. It comes from the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Cottage Pie – comfort food central! This English classic has a deeply savoury beef mince filling smothered in gravy topped with creamy. Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with James. You can cook Cottage pie using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cottage pie
- You need 450 g of beef mince.
- Prepare 2 sticks of celery.
- Prepare 2 of medium carrots.
- It’s 1 of red onion.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 3 tsp of bisto beef gravy granules.
- Prepare 1 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- It’s 5 of medium sized Maris Piper potatoes.
Proper English Cottage Pie is a delicious, very traditional mince pie (beef) topped with mashed potato. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie. It is a dish that originated around the time that As cottage pie became popular throughout Britain and potatoes became a staple crop in Ireland, the.
Cottage pie step by step
- Peel and chop the potatoes and put onto boil. These take approx 18mins from reaching the boil. Drain and mash these with a splash of milk and a knob of real butter. Go for a wetter mash as you need to be able to spread it on top of the meat mix later..
- Whilst the potato cooks, dice up the onion, celery and carrots and in a separate pan saute these in the vegetable oil..
- Once the vegetables have softened a little add the tomato puree. Then add the minced beef to brown. Keep stirring so that any lumps are broken up..
- When the meat is browned add in the gravy granules and a little water (about 1/4 pint) to make the mixture wet and gravy coated but not swimming. Spoon this into a n ovenproof dish..
- Add the mash to the dish. Spread it out to cover all the meat mixture. You can leave the dish at this point if you need to prepare ahead of mealtime..
- When ready to get the meal together put the dish into a 200° oven for approx 30 mins. If you like cheese add some grated cheddar to top the dish for the last 15 mins.
- Serve with boiled or steamed vegetables on the side with beef gravy..
In this cooking video The Wolfe Pit uses Gordon Ramsay's recipe to show you how to make Cottage Pie. Traditional cottage pie with a rich meaty sauce, topped with creamy mashed potato, crisped up to golden perfection. Check out my tip for ensuring also get a jug of delicious gravy to pour on top. This classic cottage pie recipe is easy to make and would make the perfect family meal packed with minced beef, sweet tomatoes and topped with Watch how to make Quick and easy cottage pie. Cottage pie is a delicious variation of the classic shepherd's pie, and it's fairly simple to make at home!