You can have Cottage Pie using 20 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- It’s of For the mash.
- Prepare 2.5 Kg of Maris Piper potatoes.
- You need 150 ml of double cream.
- You need 300 ml of milk.
- It’s 3-4 knobs of butter.
- It’s Pinch of salt.
- You need Pinch of pepper.
- You need Pinch of nutmeg.
- You need of For the filling.
- It’s 750 g of beef mince.
- It’s 50 g of peas.
- It’s 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 of large knobs of salted butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of paprika.
- It’s of Sprinkle of chilli powder.
- Prepare of For the topping.
- Prepare 400 g of medium cheddar cheese, grated.
- Prepare of To serve.
- Prepare of Savoy cabbage.
- You need 600 ml of gravy.
Cottage Pie instructions
- Peel the potatoes and put them in a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt, and boil. This should take about 30-40 minutes..
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the oil and butter to a saucepan on a medium/high heat, and once the oil starts sizzling – add the mince and break it all apart so all the meat in separated. Fry until browned and the liquid fat has been cooked off. Add the peas..
- To check the potatoes are cooked, try and pick one up by stabbing it with a knife. If it falls off the knife with ease, the potatoes are done. Drain and mash, gradually adding milk, butter and cream where necessary. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg… mash until there are no lumps..
- In a large oven dish, spread the mince filling across the bottom, until level. Repeat with the mash. Top with the cheese and bake in a preheated oven (150°C) until the cheese is golden brown. Serve immediately with gravy and savoy cabbage..