You can cook Cottage Pie using 22 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- Prepare 3 lbs of lean ground beef.
- It’s 1 of large finely chopped onion.
- You need 2 cups of chopped carrots.
- Prepare 2 of large stalks celery finely chopped.
- It’s 1 bag of frozen peas.
- Prepare 1 cup of white mushrooms, chopped.
- You need of About 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
- You need 3 of oxo cubes (beef stock cubes – can buy on Amazon).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 sprig of fresh thyme (optional).
- It’s 1 can of Campbell’s French onion soup.
- It’s 2 of heaped tablespoons Bisto gravy powder (buy on Amazon).
- Prepare 1 glass of red wine.
- You need of About a quarter cup of ketchup.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of For topping:.
- You need 2 containers of Costco mashed potatoes.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- It’s 1 of little grated nutmeg.
Cottage Pie step by step
- In about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, Brown the beef (add a little salt and pepper)and drain – set aside..
- In about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Sauté chopped onions, celery, carrots, add a little salt and pepper while cooking. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes until softened..
- Return meat to large pan and add a glass of red wine, can of soup, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook on medium head stirring occasionally.
- Add sautéed vegetables.
- Sauté mushrooms in about 1 tablespoon of oil for about 5 minutes, and add to meat/veg mixture..
- Add frozen peas..
- Add 3 oxo cubes crumbled..
- Put the bisto gravy powder in a mug or cup. Stir in about 1/4 cup cold water. Spoon into meat/veg mixture about a spoonful at a time and stir. This makes a rich gravy..
- Check seasoning and continue cooking on low heat stirring occasionally..
- Make the potatoes as directed. Put cooked potatoes in large bowl. Add butter, cheddar cheese and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside..
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprig (if used) and Spoon meat mixture into shallow casserole or baking pans (this is enough for two dishes).
- Spoon potato mixture on the top making sure sides are sealed with potato mixture. Score top of potatoes with a fork. (Run fork across and down to make a pattern)..
- Bake in center of preheated 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown..