Whole wheat Cornbread Cottage Pie. The BEST chicken tamale pie with a fluffy whole wheat honey jalapeño cornbread. This recipe will knock your socks off! This chicken tamale pie is another one of those recipes that has given me pure joy.
Add sugar if you like sweet muffins. These cornbread muffins get their great texture from the whole wheat flour and stone-ground cornmeal. The cornbread can also be baked in. You can cook Whole wheat Cornbread Cottage Pie using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Whole wheat Cornbread Cottage Pie
- It’s 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- It’s 2 lbs of ground turkey (or any other ground meat).
- You need 1/2 packet of cornbread mix.
- You need 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour.
- Prepare 2 of eggs (or equivalent egg substitute).
- Prepare of cheese of your choice.
- Prepare of Barbecue sauce (optional).
- It’s of vegetables of choice, I used long green beans.
I previously had trouble with whole wheat pie crusts; they tended to be hard to work with and crumbly. Then I added wheat gluten, as I do for bread, and Usually I just substitute whole wheat flour for my regular pie recipe which generally turns out fine but I was interested to see how the gluten affected. Made with whole-grain cornmeal and white whole-wheat flour, this healthy cornbread recipe is quick enough for a weeknight and perfect to serve with chili or instead of dinner rolls. We like to make a few extra batches of the dry mix and store it in the freezer.
Whole wheat Cornbread Cottage Pie step by step
- Start by browning and draining the grease out of your ground meat..
- Once meat is cooked, Mix together the cream of mushroom soup and water together, add to the mix. Continue to cook on low heat while preparing the rest..
- Mix together a half packet of cornbread mix with the whole wheat flour and eggs. Continue to add water and mix until cornbread mixture becomes the proper texture..
- Once all parts of the pie are prepared, lay the meat/mushroom mixture down in the cassarole dish first. Lay down your vegetables on top and than pour and evenly spread the cornbread mixture over top..
- Bake in oven on 350 degrees for 20-30mins or until your cornbread has become golden brown. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting into it..
- As this recipe tends to dry out slightly when left as leftovers, I recommend adding a dollop of barbecue sauce to the top on any portions that have been reheated..
To make a batch of cornbread, just measure. My daughters love this cornbread so much they would happily eat it for dessert. I happen to be more of a dark chocolate girl, but I do love the fact that this version of corn bread has actual bits of corn in the batter. Whole Wheat Honey-Jalapeño Cornbread Chicken Tamale Pie. Need a healthy recipe to feed the whole fam?