Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb). Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with mushrooms, carrots, peas, gravy and baked under creamy mashed potatoes. ♡ Plant based! Shepherd's Pie season is upon us and this super cozy vegetarian version is running around on the loose in our house. And did you hear me when I said veg only?
Shepherd's pie was a classic that many households in Australia and Britain grew up with and started as a way for people to make left-over scraps of meat and vegetables into a delicious meal. To get the nice browned top, turn on the boiler and watch the pie closely until it's browned on top (if your broiler is under your oven, you'll have to transfer the pie to the bottom drawer). Flavorful vegetarian recipe with potatoes, lentils and vegetables. You can have Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb) using 28 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb)
- You need of Equipment.
- You need 2 of Pans.
- You need 1 of Baking Tray (I think mine was approx 20cm x 20cm).
- You need 1 of Food Pocessor (I used my trusty Nutribullet).
- It’s of Oven.
- You need of Produce.
- It’s 1 of Celery Sticks (finely chopped).
- Prepare 1 of Carrots (finely chopped).
- Prepare 1/2-1 of Leek (finely chopped).
- Prepare 200 gms of Mushrooms (some sliced, some finely chopped).
- It’s 1/2 of Medium Onion (finely chopped).
- It’s 2 of Garlic Clove (finely chopped).
- You need 1 tbs of fresh Parsley (finely chopped).
- Prepare 3 sprigs of Thyme (leave whole).
- You need 1 head of Cauliflower (processed) – for the topping.
- It’s of Others.
- It’s 1 1/2 of tab Dried Mix Herbs (or Pizza herbs).
- You need 1 tbs of Tomato Paste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Paprika.
- You need 3 tsp of salt (2 for filling, 1 for topping).
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of Pepper (1 for filling, 2/2 for topping).
- You need 1 tbs of Rice Flour (mixed in with 1/2 cup cold water).
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of Water.
- It’s 2 Cups of Almond Milk (for the topping).
- Prepare 1 tbs of butter (for the topping – I used a dairy free version).
- It’s 3 tbs of Parmesan (for the topping – I used a Vegan Parmesan).
- Prepare 1 Can of lentils (drained and rinsed).
- Prepare 2 tbs of Olive Oil.
Gluten free, kosher, healthy, pareve or dairy. But how the heck do you make a shepherd's pie without the meat? I don't like using the ground soy meat substitutes because eating too much soy makes me. You should give this vegan Shepherd's pie a try!
Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb) step by step
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare vegetables as per ingredients instructions (pic doesn't show the Cauliflower once put in the food processor or the rice flour mixture).
- Place 1tbs Olive oil in a pan, add the onion and saute for 5mins..
- While the onion sautes, in the other pan, add the processed Cauliflower, 2 cups almond milk, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper to the other pan. Place lid on pan and leave to simmer covered (I didn't take any pics, sorry). This will cook down for approx 15 – 20mins cooking (or until softened).
- Back to the filling pan, Add the other tbs olive oil and then leek and garlic and saute for a further 3 minutes. Then add the Mushrooms, carrot, celery, parsley, tomato paste, thyme, mixed herbs, paprika, 2 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper and stir..
- Add the lentils and 1 1/2 cups Water and stir. Bring to the boil, turn down to simmer for approx 10mins.
- Just before the filling is ready, add the rice flour water mixture and cook for a minute or so and place the filling mixture into the baking tray.
- For the topping, place the cooked down Cauliflower mixture in a Food processor (I used a Nutribullet), with the butter and 2tbs Parmesan and blitz until smooth..
- Spread the Cauliflower Mash over the top of the filling, sprinkle the last tablespoon of Parmesan over the top and bake for 30mins..
- Once finished, serve. You can leave in the oven for longer for a browner top. I was too hungry to wait and it was great anyway (although doesn't make for the prettiest of pics 😂).
It's a super healthy high carb, low fat recipe and is extremely delicious! Then use a fork and score the top to create grooves that will brown easily (this step is optional). Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie is a meatless take on a classic comfort dish. Swap the meat for mushrooms and quinoa & it all gets smothered in a rich gravy sauce. The ultimate Vegan Lentil Shepherd's Pie featuring rich, flavourful, saucy lentils topped with fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes & baked until deliciously golden brown & crispy.