Oven Fried Fish and Grits. How To Cook Healthy Fish and Grits. Combine the panko, olive oil, garlic powder, and dried dill or any seasoning of your choice in a frying pan and toast over medium heat until golden brown. The other day, my husband was asking for fish and chips but with my high cholesterol, I have to avoid things like that.
Fish and chips are traditionally sold wrapped in paper to soak up all the grease–not a good sign. To cut the calories in half and reduce the fat, we coat the delicate fish in a crispy cornflake crust and then bake it along with sliced potatoes. There are lots of baked fish recipes out there, but this oven-fried version is hands-down our favorite. You can have Oven Fried Fish and Grits using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Oven Fried Fish and Grits
- Prepare 1 of Cod Filet.
- It’s 1 of Serving of quick cook grits.
- Prepare 1 of Zucchini Chopped into bite size pieces.
- It’s A few of grape or cherry tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- You need 1/4 cup of milk.
- It’s 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Flour (you can omit this if you like).
- Prepare of olive oil.
- Prepare of nonstick cooking spray.
- It’s of Cajun seasoning.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of heavy cream.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of butter.
- Prepare To Taste of Salt & Pepper.
It would also taste great served on a bun with tartar sauce and a slice. A few years back, I started to crave my roots but with a healthier spin. Because this oven fried catfish recipe is so on point, I'm thinking about throwing my family's first fish un-fry. And I might add this Grilled Catfish recipe to the mix as well.
Oven Fried Fish and Grits step by step
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray..
- Mix the egg and milk together and place your cod filet in it to soak while you prepare everything else (no longer than 15 minutes.).
- Place vegetables in a foil boat with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Then fold the foil tightly..
- Mix together flour, panko bread crumbs, and Cajun seasoning. take the cod out of the milk and egg and dredge in dry mixture. Then dunk back into the milk and eggs and again into the dry. Lay filet on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray..
- Place the vegetable pack on the same pan with the fish. Cook on the middle rack of oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes (or until fish is crispy and cooked through.).
- While your fish and veggies cook in the oven prepare the grits per packaged instructions. When they are almost done add the cream and butter and whisk well until smooth and creamy. Salt and pepper to taste..
- When fish is done remove from oven. Carefully open the foil pack. With a fork gentle burst the tomatoes (if not already.) This is what makes the sauce..
- Spoon your grits into a bowl. Top with some veggies and sauce. Then Place your Crispy fish on top..
This Crispy Oven Fried Fish gets super crunchy and will be a new favorite for kids and adults alike. The trick to getting batter to stick to fish for oven frying is pretty simple. It's all about dipping the fillet pieces in the right ingredients in the right order However you choose to eat this oven fried catfish, whether on its own or on a toasted bun, it's sure to become a favorite recipe fast. I fully intend on making Flip halfway through roasting. The bottom of the fish will absorb some of the oil on the pan, and when flipped, it will crisp up perfectly on both sides.