Sourdough Whole Wheat Crackers. A surprisingly easy recipe for sourdough whole wheat crackers – mix, roll out, and bake in less than an hour. And these are so good you won't believe it! Some links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them and purchase I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
These easy homemade crackers are richly flavored with butter, whole grain spelt or wheat flour, and sourdough starter. A great way to use up excess sourdough! These sourdough crackers are delicious plain, but you can also dress them up with whatever toppings you like! You can cook Sourdough Whole Wheat Crackers using 6 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sourdough Whole Wheat Crackers
- You need 1 cup of “discarded” sourdough starter.
- It’s 1/4 cup of butter.
- It’s 1 cup of whole wheat flour or spelt flour.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
- Prepare of olive oil.
- Prepare of coarse salt for sprinkling.
I particularly like making crackers with sourdough because it gives them a delightful texture and the dough can last for a couple of days in the refrigerator. I don't know how long it lasts in the freezer yet because I haven't let it stay in there long enough to find out. These homemade whole wheat crackers take a bit of time with the assembly and cleanup, but they're a perfectly manageable project and a lovely way to spend some time with a friend or family. Roll the cracker dough over a floured surface and cut into squares.
Sourdough Whole Wheat Crackers instructions
- a large bowl, combine the sourdough and the butter and mix thoroughly.
- Mix the salt in with ¼ cup flour and add to the sourdough mixture..
- Knead it all together in the bowl, adding as much flour as necessary to make a stiff dough..
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap or put a lid on the bowl to prevent it from drying out.Leave the dough at room temperature for at least seven hours.
- Seven or more hours later, preheat the oven to 350°F Fahrenheit.
- Take a small portion of the dough (about ¼ cup) and roll it out on a Silpat or other nonstick baking mat using a rolling pin, until it is very thin..
- Pour a little bit of olive oil on the rolled out dough and spread it to the edges of the dough with a pastry brush or your hand..
- Sprinkle liberally with coarse salt..
- Cut the dough vertically and horizontally into quadrangles with a pizza cutter..
- Transfer the Silpat onto your baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until just golden brown..
- Repeat in batches.The crackers shrink a little bit in the oven, so when you pull out your baking sheet, they will already be separated..
- This dough freezes well and you can easily defrost one or two batches at a time so that you can have fresh crackers every day!.
- Experiment with seasonings as you wish. Besides coarse sea salt I tried garlic powder and herbs De province. You can go as wild as you like. Enjoy!!!.
These easy sourdough crackers are addictive, and a great way to use up sourdough starter discard. We include five different seasoning ideas so you We use Gold N White Organic Whole Wheat flour, or fresh ground hard wheat berries. The sourdough cracker texture is different depending on your. Explore Sofie Dittmann's photos on Flickr. · Don't give up. These whole grain sourdough pancakes aren't too sour or too sweet!