Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Pat green beans dry with paper towels if necessary; spread onto a jellyroll pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
To make ahead, partially prepare the green beans. Boil the beans until just tender, then plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. To reheat, add to the skillet with the toasted garlic and almonds and cook, tossing until heated through. You can have Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli using 19 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli
- It’s 1 lb of butter beans (baby limas), soaked overnight.
- Prepare of Salt, lots of salt.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, smashed.
- Prepare of Black pepper.
- Prepare 1 of lemon.
- You need 1 bunch of rosemary.
- Prepare 1 bunch of mint.
- You need 2 bunches of oregano.
- Prepare 1.5 cups of rendered fat.
- You need 2 Tbsp of sherry vinegar.
- Prepare 1 bunch of greens (turnip, mustard, kale).
- You need of Toasted Bread.
- You need 1 loaf of crusty bread, ripped into small pieces.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s of Garlic Lemon Aioli.
- You need 1 of egg yolk.
- You need 1 of garlic clove, grated.
- It’s 1/2 of lemon, juiced.
- Prepare 1 cup of olive oil.
Toast the bread and then butter each piece. Try mustard greens, kale, or collard greens. Taste ragù and season with more salt if needed. Drain beans and return pan to heat.
Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli instructions
- Soak the beans in salted water over night. They can be in the pot you cook the beans in. Bring the beans and the garlic to a rolling boil over high heat. Turn the heat off and skim the foam off..
- Heat a dry skillet over high heat. Sear the lemon halves face down.
- Bring the beans to another boil and skim once more..
- Wrap the herbs (minus some oregano) in butcher twine to keep them together. Add the herbs, the lemons, pepper, and the fat to the beans. You want enough fat to cover the the liquid completely. Make up any lack of fat with olive oil. Add some salt..
- Reduce the heat to the lowest possible to maintain a few faint bubbles every few minutes. Slow simmer for at least an hour…maybe 3 until the beans are tender. Continually taste the liquid as they cook adding salt to taste. You may be surprised how much salt they can take..
- When the beans are done, remove the herb bundle, add the sherry vinegar and the extra oregano sprig. Salt if needed. Cook at the same bare simmer for 10-20 min..
- Stem the greens and wash to remove sand. Remove the last oregano sprig. Turn the heat off and add the greens..
- Tear the bread into small pieces. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the bread and toss until crispy. Season with salt..
- Prepare the aioli. Add the yolk to a bowl. Juice a half lemon and grate a garlic clove. Add the 1 ish cup of olive oil, 1 drop at a time, to the yolk mix. Whisking to incorporate until a lose mayo forms..
- Scoop the beans into a deep bowl, dollop with aioli and then garnish with the toasted bread..
Add oil and butter pat to the pan. Toss beans in oil and melted butter. Season beans with a little salt and transfer to a serving plate. Garnish green beans with toasted slivered or sliced almonds. This rich bread comes together in about an hour for a savory and delicious snack.